Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Students' Union

Run by students, for students, the Students' Union can represent and support you with academic issues.

Newcastle University Students' Union

How can they help?

Student Advice Centre (SAC)

The Student Advice Centre offers students information and advice on: academic, financial, accommodation, legal, personal/family, consumer and employment issues.

Specifically they offer you academic advice on:

  • how to change course
  • how to fill in a Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC) form
  • guidance if you've failed a course or exam
  • the academic appeals process
  • the student disciplinary process

This service is free, independent, impartial and confidential, and available to all current Newcastle University students equally.

The SAC can also offer assistance and representation for students facing university disciplinary processes or academic appeals.

Drop-in: SAC run a drop-in service during their opening hours. Find them the ground floor of the Students' Union
Find out more: Student Advice Centre website


Nightline is a student listening service which is open at night and run by students for students. Nightline are there for you when there is no one else you can talk to.

Every night of term, 8pm-8am, student volunteers answer calls, emails, instant messages and texts, and talk with fellow students about anything that's troubling them.

Contact: Phone 0191 2612905 or speak through instant messenger during term time, from 8.00 - 20.00.

Education Officer and Academic Reps

Your elected Education Officer represents students' views on all aspects of their degree to the highest levels in the University.

All students should be represented by an Academic Student Rep for their course or programme. These reps feed back your experience of your course to the University. So if you have any feedback, good or bad, make sure you get in touch with your Academic Student Reps. 

Contact your Education Officer through email, social media, or pop in to the Representation & Democracy Office on Level 0 of the Students' Union for a chat.

Welfare and Equality Officer

Outside the Students' UnionYour elected Welfare and Equality Officer gives guidance and runs campaigns on all things to do with student welfare, from sexual and mental health to housing and financial advice. 

If you're unsure about where to go for a certain issue, the welfare officer is a good place to start – if they can't help, they can direct you to those who can.

Contact your Welfare Officer through email, social media, or pop in to the Representation & Democracy Office on Level 0 of the Students' Union for a chat.

Get in touch

Telephone: 0191 239 3900
Find out more: Newcastle University Students' Union (NUSU) website